Friday, September 26, 2014

AC3E Emulation Options

The PlayStation 1 has been dead for a long time now. It's been 12 years since I've last played a game on my PS1, which I trashed when I had to move (for the umpteenth time) and the effort of keeping it and getting it to work in a place with a different TV standard just wasn't worth the time, patience or investment.

So if, like me, your only way to play AC3E is via an emulator, then here are my recommendations if you want to get the best out of it.

While there's no one emulator that will faithfully replicate the game as if you were playing it on a real console, there are two emulators that come pretty damn close in their own ways.

ePSXe

Website: http://www.epsxe.com/

The plugins I use for AC3E are: Pete's OpenGL2 2.9, ePSXe's default sound and CDROM drivers.

My settings when using Pete's OpenGL2 video plugin:


Positives: enhanced graphics, such as filtering and high-res textures.

Downsides: sun reflections on the water are not accurate, river in M03 looks like broken glass (depends on the settings, but I haven't had much luck myself).

2016.10.30

There's also a plugin called P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.18 that in my opinion offers a compromise between the experience I get playing with ePSXe and XEBRA.

Since this plugin is software based, the sun reflects correctly on water and thanks to the emulator having rumble support, vibration is fully supported via XInput.

The picture is on the sharper side of things but thankfully not too much so the picture isn't riddled with jagged edges and big, blocky pixels everywhere. There seems to be a small problem with the colors though as they aren't as clean as OpenGL2 2.9 or XEBRA, slightly garbled but not a big deal.

I found that it has some difficulty in properly rendering the walls of the Data Swallow tunnel on the main menu but only if you take screenshots. They look perfectly fine on the emulator while playing but in screenshots those particular textures appear a little buggy.

All things considered, I can say that this my third alternative to play the game.

2017.05.22

As of

XEBRA

Website: http://drhell.web.fc2.com/ps1/

Description: accurate emulator that works right out of the box without the use of plugins.

XEBRA allows for analog input with this axis configuration: X, Y, U and R (no need to change any numbers). There is still no vibration support

XEBRA can also be a little hard to set-up at first due to its beginner-unfriendly interface because it isn't as intuitive as ePSXe when it comes to configuring. In my Video Output settings I have "Use OpenGL", "Stretch with GDI" and "Progressive" checked while both "Drawing Skip" and "Display Skip" are set to 0.

Comparison Gallery


Click here for full resolution pictures

 
M03 texture glitch with ePSXe

Reflection

Nighttime
-Addendum-
If you want to go the extra mile, I highly recommend playing with an actual DualShock controller. After years of playing with a keyboard, with a generic game controller last year, and then finally buying a Dualshock 3,  I can safely say that nothing beats the feel and functionality of the original controller. Special mention goes to the analog sensitivity which allows the full 360-degree freedom of view as intended.
 

11 comments:

  1. I haven't notice the texture glitch on M3. Maybe it's something connected with plugin or settings on it? Also, one of the problems I had was with the afterburner rendering black rectangle of sorts. That was fixed by playing around with the settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What have you done!?

      Delete
    2. Say, can you please tell us which settings you changed to fix the black rectangles on the afterburner? It happens that I have the same problem (it's mildly annoying to say the least) and would like to fix that as well.

      Delete
    3. I'm not the first commenter, but if anyone else comes across this the black rectangles on the afterburner seem to have been fixed by turning the threading mode to "3: 2-Threads (more effects)" in epsxe's graphics settings. I'm using Pete's GL2 core.

      Delete
  2. I've had slowdowns and hiccups with arbex. I have been playing around with the settings for a bit but its still there when loading (especially on the main menu screen). What video output settings do you use? (I've also tried messing around with the cache rate and all that)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I've used both ARBEX and XEBRA and never experienced a slowdown while playing AC3E, this while using these settings for video output: the five check-boxes are all on except "Whole Frame Buffer" and Cycle 1,2,3 are set to their default 0.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. I had a older ver apparently, when I got the latest one, things were a lot better. for me the best settings were everything that you mentioned but I had the cycles set to 0,1,1

      Delete
  3. I've found that the standard epsxe video core works best. Not only do all the effects work, but they also work at 4x resolution. You need a really good CPU, but it looks great. https://i.imgur.com/JWfpnhU.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's really cool and surprising, I gotta try that sometime!

      Delete
    2. Just tried, it works perfectly for me as long as I stay at native resolution. Gonna update this post in the future, thanks for posting.

      Delete
    3. tengo un problema y es que en la mision electrosphere la numero 38 la pantalla se pone negra uso el emulado epsxe

      Delete